The main currencies
The main stock markets in the world quote precious metal prices per troy ounce* (symbol oz t), 1 kg-ingot or gram.
- France: Napoléon
- United States: American Eagle
- Canada: Maple leaves
- Australia: Nuggets
- South Africa: Krügerrands
- United Kingdom: Britannia
- Switzerland: Vreneli
- Gold: Gold ingots** of 1 kg, 500 g, 250 g, 100 g, 50 g, 20 g, 10 g and 5 g
- Silver: Silver ingot*** of 1,000 g (liable for VAT)
- Platinum and palladium: Ingot of 1,000 g (liable for VAT)
* A troy ounce (oz t) weights 31,10034768 grams or 0.0311034768 kg
** Standard gold ingots 999.9
*** Standard silver ingots 999
Value added tax
In Luxembourg, the ‘physical’ sale or purchase of gold coins or ingots is not subject to value added tax.
However, the physical sale or purchase of platinum, palladium and/or silver coins or ingots is liable for VAT (current rate 17 %).
You can deposit your precious metals with Banque Raiffeisen, which guarantees to:
- Keep your precious metals in a safe place
- Track listed prices daily using the fixing price
- Send a quarterly securities deposit statement